Finally, my next post. It feels like ages since I’ve launched this blog and I’m ecstatic to finally post my first interview! As promised, Handmade Jamaica will put the spotlight on a talented Jamaican (hopefully each week) who makes masterpieces with their hands. I firmly believe we can reap riches and awe the world with our hands and this first sister here is the embodiment of what this blog is about.
I hope you all will find this entry sufficiently intriguing and I hope to inspire with each post, people (locals and non-locals) out there to be so impressed by the talent being presented that they will seek out and make purchases. Pleasant reading and support real art, support real talent! Done talk!!
Now for the interview:
1. Describe your business Moji is a highly energetic, inspirational, unique, mesmerizing; soulful creative spa. Moji takes you beyond glam and fashion.The creative energy that comes forth through Moji’s fingertips are not limited to clothing but also into blending natural perfume oils and ital Jamaica love body products. Life squirts from all of Moji’s irations. However, the ultimate beauty comes to the fore when Moji’s wearable art clothing is put on the body.Without a doubt Moji’s vibration adds new life to anyone who wears it. Be prepared to get out of thy mind.Moji Moba is not for humans who live in boxes, it is for ones who have tapped into the energy field of left brain. Moji is out of this world to say the least. See, feel and KNOW for yourself.
2. What is the name of your business and how did you come up with the name? The name of my business is Moji/Moba. My sister Althea came up with the word Moba, which is actually excerpts from my name Mojiba. I then decided to incorporate Moji, because majority of the persons who know me are familiar with Moji. I also decided to give M.O.B.A. a meaning, creating an acronym for: Mirrors Of Blessed Art.
3. How long have you been designing/making things with your hands? I’ve been designing in my mind for aeons; with my hands almost 2 years. What makes Moji Moba a stand alone? The techniques used in my designs are uncommon, being able to create without sewing or using a machine, the choices of colors used, the spiritual messages and symbols used and last but not least, Moji’s designs will make anyone feel confident & look sexy…
4. What is your vision for your business/yourself in the years to come? The vision for Moji/Moba is to share with souls both locally and universally, the unique irations produced effortlessly by Moji’s spirit .The vision for Moba is to bring new meaning to the power of the material world. Here’s an outline of a few of the projects that will manifest by Moji; Material parties/ beyond fashion exhibits/documentaries, wearable art work shops, outlets for creative souls to express themselves freely and blissfully. Moji will become what food is, to humans & animals.
5. What has been your proudest customer/client moment? There has been more than one proud customer moments for me. However, selling a pair of earrings to recording artiste, Tessanne Chin in 2011, at Market On The Lawn is very special to me. I thought she was a Tessanne look alike, but it was actually her. We laughed about it and I remember telling her that I loved her for no reason; she thought that was the best reason to love a person. This is sacred.
6. What are some of the obstacles you face being an entrepreneur and being this type of entrepreneur? Challenges are famous, yet golden. I keep re-learning as I unlearn. In all situations especially what appears to be an obstacle, there is an opportunity for growth. In this business I witness alot of desperate folks yearning for new unique ideas and just about anything that can make money. However, I take it as a huge compliment when someone else TRIES to imitate what I do. Another critical observation as a creatress is being able to provide an outlet to showcase your creativity and having a financial support system in place is extremely important. Being able to give your fans/customers the freedom to come to you at will is indeed a fat plus. Money makes this a reality.
7. How can we purchase your creations? Moji/Moba can be contacted at:
On Facebook: Search Moji or Moba Bymo-g
Now for me rocking my Moji (couldn’t resist..sorry and not sure why this pic refuses to rotate)